Welcome to CaneyPUGgies!
Table of Contents
Learn web programming with CaneyPUGgies
If you would like to learn web programming and have very strong computer skills, come join the Caney Python Users Group (CaneyPUGgies) 5-7 PM Mondays (bring a sack lunch) at Starbucks on Frank Phillips Blvd in Bartlesville, OK. At CaneyPUGgies we're 1) teaching ourselves framework-style web programming using CouchDB and Node.js by 2) producing a working open source web application named Reformed Churches Locator. Membership is free. Your costs are your time, a wireless laptop computer with 3+ GB RAM, and a Ubuntu installation either on your computer or a 32+ GB bootable flash/USB drive. Your reward is that after a year of dedicated effort you may be able to earn money as a web programmer. Both beginners and experts are welcome.
We're using cutting-edge web programming tools and techniques you could use to make your own Twitter or Facebook. The group draws on the experience of Tim Black, pastor of Caney Orthodox Presbyterian Church, who has worked as a part-time web programmer for 12 years. Our hope is CaneyPUGgies will give more people a reason to live and work in Caney, and perhaps even start a new industry here.
Here are some of the technologies we are using:
- General application structure:
- Database & data models
- CouchDB as a NoSQL database which supports master-to-master replication
- Backbone.js, backbone-relational, and backbone-couchdb, described above
- View templates
- Server-side scripting
- Application lifecycle management
- Aptana as a web development IDE
- Chrome Developer Tools/ Firebug for debugging
- Jasmine unit tests to automate testing the application's functionality and thereby protect against unnoticed feature regressions in the future, and encourage the best practice of test-driven development
- Bazaar version control system
- Continuous integration
- launchpad.net project management system
- and a number of other tools available in Ubuntu that are useful for web development
For more information, contact Tim Black at (620) 306-1507, firstname.lastname@example.org, or come to a CaneyPUGgies meeting.
How you can get involved
- Join the CaneyPUGgies Launchpad group & mailing list
- Set up your web development environment
- Learn web programming by getting the Reformed Churches Locator code (done automatically by our installation script), claim a blueprint as your own, and implement that blueprint!
- Come to a CaneyPUGgies meeting (or attend remotely), and if it is posted as a Launchpad sprint, propose blueprints for the meeting.
- Learn from PastMeetingMinutes if you missed a meeting
- Post or email a CaneyPUGgies flier to invite a friend
- Do a task on the TaskList to further organize & promote CaneyPUGgies